Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saucy!

Something about this time of year makes me want to eat puddings. Specifically, carb-fat-rich puddings. Most of the time I resist this but last night I did not. I had some left over pumpkin and felt like pumpkin pie but was too lazy to faff about with getting cream and making pastry so I modified this recipe.

Banana Caramel Self-saucing Pudding

110g butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3 very ripe bananas
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 tspn baking powder
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tspn baking soda
2 cups boiling water

Soften butter. Beat in brown sugar and egg. Mash bananas with vanilla essence and stir through butter mixture. Sift over the flour and baking powder and baking soda and combine well. Spread pudding into 28 cm x 19 cm ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over topping. Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto topping mixture. Bake at 180 degrees C for 35 mins approx.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons custard powder
50g butter

Combine brown sugar, custard powder. Chop up butter roughly and add to the custard powder and brown sugar.

My Pumpkin "Pie" Version

Replace bananas with approx. 1 cup mashed pumpkin.
Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon each all spice and ground nutmeg, pinch of ground cloves
with the flour. Continue recipe as above.

It was delicious. I'd probably add more pumpkin next time for more pumpkin flavour. It's probably ... actually it is best served with cream but I had it (virtuously) with milk.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:09 pm

    yum. go you on being virtuous! I would have had it with icecream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have had it with cream AND icecream - but I am bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:32 am

    funnily enough I am in the winter pudding stage. I told Mike make the most of it because when semester B starts there will be no more home cooked desserts. They sound yummy those desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:23 pm

    yum I love pumpkin pie!!

    ReplyDelete