Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Attitude

Ali E had this on her blog recently. I needed the reminder.

A quote by Charles Swindoll:
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.

It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.

We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.


My italics...

Some things I have difficulty dealing with are entirely because I need an attitude adjustment. As someone said, opportunities are often disguised as inconveniences and so if I have the right attitude I can take advantage of them in a positive way. It doesn't have to be in a looking-on-the-bright-side-Pollyanna type of way (because some things are just not happy situations). But as a maturing adult I can change my attitude towards some situations to improve how I cope.


9 comments:

  1. Good thoughts there Penny. I used to be one that moaned and dwelled on things, but my 'mantra' is now 'build a bridge and get over it'. OK, sometimes I can't change the situation, but I just have to do the best. I've had an issue happen at work recently, and everyone keeps bringing it up, and in the end I just said 'I've had to get over it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:59 am

    I love Charles Swindoll, he's a very wise man! That quote is awesome. But I do know what you mean about the attitude adjustment. I think as I have gotten older (I'm only 29!!! LOL) I have learned how to deal with things a lot better. I used to worry so much (I still do, but I'm a lot better!) and only see the negative side of things. I'm finally starting to understand that my attitude to my problems makes all the difference - how I react will determine how I cope. Pity it took so long for me to get to this place - it would have made life easier if I knew this when I was younger. But then I guess I wouldn't have learned through experience, the bad times wouldn't have made me stronger. So yeah, it's all good!

    Thanks for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true - I have not been reacting well to some things lately - definitely something I need to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truer words...
    Yes we can't control everything but we can control how we react.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:16 am

    True thoughts. Look after yourself by exercising control over the *things* you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:42 am

    That is one of my fav quotes and its so true. Having that time out recently made me reflect on the power of control we have about how we see things. I was moaning and groaning about study but at the end of teh day I could change that situation, which I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:56 am

    So very true, we cannot change anyone but ourself. And our attitude is such a huge part of how we see ourself and the world around us and how that world sees and reacts to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too true - I am trying to work on attitude adjustment myslef :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duh - I already commented! The brain is definitely not working well lately!

    ReplyDelete